Friday, January 16, 2009

Reinhardt's Fair And Full Disclosure

Uwe E. Reinhardt is an economics professor at Princeton. He discusses the different approaches and conclusions by economists regarding the effectiveness of Obama's fiscal stimulus package...

This sounds really fair:

So there you have the flexibility, shall we say, that economists enjoy when they apply their professional skills to affairs of state in what may seem, to outsiders, like purely scientific analyses.

In the first lecture of my freshman economics course at Princeton entitled “The Art of Siffing Among Seasoned Adults,” I demonstrate how seasoned adults routinely structure information felicitously (i.e., “sif”) to further their own agenda, and I point out that economists can be among the most skillful practitioners of this art.

“If at the end of this course you still trust me,” I warn them, “I have failed in my mission. When economists advise on public policy, the operative mantra is Caveat Emptor!”

I am sad to teach it, but consider it fair and full disclosure.

No comments:

Post a Comment